JAKARTA - A number of victims from the mud flow in East Java held another demonstration in front of the presidential palace on Monday in their effort to pressure the government to meet their demands for direct compensation for property they have lost in the disaster. The residents arrived at around nine in the morning and left five hours later after their made clear their demands for full payment to settle the issues.
The demonstration was peaceful and watched over by police. Gatot Subagio, one of the demonstrators, told that they had been intimidated and asked to return home. "Not only the district head but even the governor asked us to return home and not to continue this action," he said. The request had been made many times with various kinds of reasons. "We have had our share of intimidations. They have become our daily menu," he said. This rally was the fourth held by the victims.