JAKARTA - Donor institutions and the Aceh- Nias Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Agency ( BRR
Aceh-Nias) have so far built 57,000 units of permanent housing for earthquake and tsunami victims in Indonesia's Aceh and Nias regions in the past two years.
Around 22,000 units of housing for victims of the disasters in the two regions are expected to be completed by the end of March next year, Antara news agency quoted BRR Aceh-Nias chief Kuntoro Mangkusubroto as saying on Saturday in Banda Aceh, capital of Aceh province.
"Coordination in the housing sector is increasing but reconstruction efforts are still facing big obstacles such as land acquisition and ownership problems and construction materials supply as well as contractors' quality assessment problems. "The main challenge in housing reconstruction is land acquisition and ownership problems," he said.
In view of that, he said it was important for the government and reconstruction agencies to increase coordination in 2007 to overcome the problems and speed up the development of houses for the people. He said more than 65,000 people had so far been moved from makeshift tents to temporary housing. He said 750 schools and more than 300 health facilities had been built and 1,200 kilometer long roads in Aceh and 300 kilometer long roads in Nias had also been built.
He said both sea and air ports that had been damaged in the disaster had now been operational. Kuntoro said a total of 7.1 billion U.S. dollars was needed for reconstruction efforts in Aceh and Nias. He said the funds came from the government, international donors and other donor agencies and a total of 5.8 billion U.S. dollars of it
had already been allocated for various projects. The BRR Aceh-Nias was optimistic the implementation of projects in the 2007 fiscal year would improve because the BRR could now make contracts for 2007 projects this year, said Kuntoro.